I recommend watching this video with subtitles. The holistic urban development guide lines can be found on the site of Freiburg’s Sustainability Management. These are the goals for the policy area “urban planning and urban development planning”:
5. Urban planning and Urban Development Planning
We oblige ourselves, to take on a strategic role in urban planning and urban development planning with respect to ecologic, social, economic, health and cultural aspects and benefits for all.
- Step-by-step reduction of green-field building sites to zero and supplying the need for building sites for housing and industry by the development of brown-fields and the densification of existing urban areas.
- Urban quarters and villages of high urban design quality with social and life assuring infrastructure.
- Strong urban centres with a high diversity in uses and attractive retail trade.
- Newly constructed buildings are to be of high quality and should be additions to the building culture of a city, that preserves its individuality and beauty.
- A good supply of attractive, urban and scenic public spaces, that are usable and accessible, in all of the city.